Leek, Mushroom and Lemon Risotto
- 225 g trimmed leeks
- 225 g mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 – 4 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 84 g butter
- 1 large onion (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 340 g arborio rice
- 2 pints hot vegetable stock
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 56 g grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons mixed chopped chives and flat leaf parsley
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Wash the leeks well. Slice in half lengthways and roughly chop.
- Wash the mushroom and dry with kitchen roll. Roughly chop.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and baste the crushed garlic for a minute or two.
- Add the leeks, mushrooms and plenty of seasoning and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until softened and browned.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add half of the butter to the pan and cook the onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cook for about a minute. Add a ladleful of the hot stock to the rice and cook gently, stirring until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in more liquid as each ladleful is absorbed. This will take about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Return the leeks, mushrooms and garlic to the pan. Stir in the remaining butter, grated lemon rind and 3 tablespoons of the juice.
- Add half of the parmesan and herbs, stir and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve, Sprinkle remaining parmesan and herbs